2016 is a wonderful year to be a marketer. Great software is enabling anyone to deploy and scale campaigns like never before, usually without the need of complex internal development resources.
For the past 9 months Daniel from Bride & Groom Direct has driven more than €200k from a campaign that took him little more than 10 minutes to implement with Gleam Captures.
And this was the only code he had to drop on his site:
<script src="https://js.gleam.io/oi-7t0S5.js" async="async"></script>
Example code only, won’t actually work if you try to put it on your own site.
Bridge & Groom Direct’s Problem
Bride & Groom direct were using a custom solution for collecting newsletter signups, but only averaging 6 opt-ins per day.
But, they were consistently converting email opt-ins at 15%, so Daniel knew if he could increase the volume that he could also confidently impact overall revenue.
Signups from gleam have a much better open rate compared to our normal e-mail addresses.
Daniel stumbled across our Capture app and knew that he could test various opt-in form ideas.
They run a lot of voucher code promotions and knew that their customers were very receptive to saving money (this is a wedding we’re talking about after all).
So his initial idea was to offer a 15% off discount for email subscribes, essentially incentivising users on the spot.
Daniel then connected this Capture up to Mailchimp so that opt-ins could flow through in real-time and receive a 10% discount via an autoresponder. They also show the 15% coupon code in the post opt-in message.
One day after implementation, Daniel looked at his reporting. His opt-ins had jumped from 6 per day to over 100 per day.
Since implementing Gleam’s Capture we now get an average of 100 new customers per day. We convert around 15% of these users.
The interesting thing, is that even though the volume has increased by 1600% the conversion rate to sale remained steady at 15%.
This single Capture is now responsible for driving over €200k of sales for Bride & Groom Direct in the last 6 months and on track to contribute almost €300k for the year.
The discount code has an AOV of £75 against a site average of £70
5 Key Growth Takeaways
What can other businesses learn from the way Bridge & Groom Direct has implemented Gleam Capture onto their site?
1. Incentives Are Huge
Bride & Groom Direct were able to increase their opt-in rate by 1600% by giving their users an incentive to subscribe.
- 10% to casual email subscribers
- 15% for on the spot purchases
- 20% off abandoning carts
- 30% for special sales and offers
Of course as a business you need to weight up the cost of discount vs the potential increase in volume.
However, you will also notice that the users that redeemed the coupon code also ended up spending on average $5 more per order.
2. Start Out Simple
This campaign shows that you don’t need designers or fancy templates to try out something new. Daniel simply created an opt-in form using our Text Popup template then played around with the design and call to action in the backend.
As you get a feel for what’s working you can start to design more advanced templates for different marketing initiatives.
3. On Entry vs on Exit
This is often a hotly debated topic, should I potentially annoy customers with a popup right away? Or wait until they are about to leave our site?
Why not test both?
In Daniel’s case, he tried both:
- Instant Popup converts at 6%
- Exit Popup converts at 18%
It’s also possible to set them up to show independently, or not show the exit popup if a user has already subscribed to the main one.
4. Test Different Messaging & Offers
We mentioned above that Daniel’s exit popup was converting much higher than the main one.
But there’s a few reasons for that:
- It was only set to popup after someone was abandoning their shopping cart
- It had vastly different messaging that created urgency
- It had an extra 5% off your total order
- Exit popups don’t get triggered by mobile devices either
Capture makes it easy for you to test and deploy different messages across different parts of your site. You can even create custom popups when users come to your site from certain traffic sources.
5. Have A Solid Strategy For Selling After Opt-in
Being able to track the outcomes of your campaigns is a crucial step in knowing what sort of return you are driving.
Daniel knew the conversion rates of email subscribers, so he was able to track the upside of deploying the new campaigns. For him it was an easy equation, increase the conversion rates of the popups and he could reliably drive more revenue from potential customers.
There’s a few tricks you can use to track revenue:
- You can allocate unique coupons to specific opt-in forms so you can see the revenue for that particular opt-in
- You could use Google Analytics to look at the conversion rates per Capture
- If you track the source of customers in your backend you can allocate them to specific segments that include source signup
If you’ve done all this and still keen to grow your E-commerce business, check out 10 additional tips below.
More Email Growth Posts
- Next Case Study: Growing An E-Commerce Email List By 4.1k Subscribers With Just $75
- Growing Your Email List With Gleam
- Capture: Our Email List Growth Tool
- How to Create Exit Intent Popups
- List Growth Tactics For E-Commerce Stores
- How to Grow Your Blog’s Email List
- Tips For Using Lifecycle Emails
- Converting Email Leads to Subscribers